You can make Alfredo sauce quickly at home and it'll be better than anything you can buy. This recipe makes one serving. It can be increased a reasonable number of times before the proportions must be adjusted.
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup half and half (more half and half makes a thinner sauce)
- 1/2 tb butter (a pat a bit more than 1/4" thick)
- 1-1/2 oz (by weight) grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese*
- dash of cayenne pepper
- about 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
Gently warm the half and half and butter on very low head in a wide pan sufficiently deep for the number of servings. I use an omelet pan to make one serving. Add the seasonings and whisk until uniform.
Increase heat to medium-low and add the cheese. Whisk more-or-less constantly until you have a smooth, creamy sauce, about ten minutes. Done!
* Measure the cheese by weight because the weight to volume ratio depends upon how finely the cheese is shredded or grated and how tightly it's packed. Note: Grate your own Parmesan if possible. If you must buy pre-grated cheese, look for a brand that does not contain an anti-caking agent, because that's also an anti-melting agent.
Orignially posted: 2020-01-25